Public Works

Special Notice (posted January 5, 2019):  Over the next two weeks (especially the week of Jan. 7 — 11), service contractors will be performing maintenance work on numerous water valves and fire hydrants in various areas of our town.  During that time, it is likely that some Hurt water system customers will experience episodes of discolored water and/or sediment deposition in plumbing fixtures.  At this time, we are not anticipating the problem to be serious, prolonged, or to require a boil notice.  Users who notice significant change in the water are encouraged to simply open their faucets and allow extra water to run through the pipes, which should soon flush out any remaining sediment.  There is no public health hazard or other cause for alarm, and the effects should dissipate within a few days after the work is completed.  Questions or concerns should be communicated using the contact information provided below.  Thank you for your understanding and patience as we work to improve services for our citizens. 

water tank snow 1-18-18

For inquiries regarding utilities (water or wastewater), streets, sanitation, buildings/grounds, zoning, and code compliance, please refer correspondence to:

Ed Hodges, Public Works Coordinator

533 Pocket Road, PO Box 760

Hurt, VA 24563

Phone: (434) 608-0554       (Monday – Friday, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM)


Should you experience an “emergency” and need to contact public works about a problem with town water, wastewater, or similar matter when the office is closed, please text or call the public works cell phone:  (434) 546-5435

Disclaimer [Please Read]:   All town water and wastewater meters are owned and maintained by the Town of Hurt Public Works Department.  Any known or suspected issues with the functioning of any such meter should be reported to the town as soon as reasonably possible, using the above contact information. 

Property owners and tenants are herein advised that the town is not responsible for any expenses incurred by any person who, of their own volition and without prior knowledge of and written consent from the town to do so, procures the services of an outside contractor and/or engages oneself to perform any service work upon metering equipment belonging to the town.  Furthermore… any damage(s) to town property, accidental or otherwise, resulting from actions of this nature will become the sole financial obligation of the person(s) responsible.


Page last updated:  Saturday, January 5, 2019 at 5:20 PM